Audacity is a free, easy-to-use, [multi-track](https://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/faq_recording_how_to_s.html#overdub) audio editor and recorder for Windows, macOS, GNU/Linux and other operating systems. The interface is translated into [many languages](https://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/languages.html#list). You can use Audacity to:
- [Record](https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/recording.html) live audio.
- [Record computer playback](https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/tutorial_recording_audio_playing_on_the_computer.html) on any Windows Vista or later machine.
- [Convert tapes and records](https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/tutorial_copying_tapes_lps_or_minidiscs_to_cd.html) into digital recordings or CDs.
- Edit WAV, AIFF, FLAC, MP2, MP3, Ogg Vorbis sound files.
- AC3, M4A/M4R (AAC), WMA, Opus and other formats supported using optional libraries.
- Cut, copy, [splice](https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/faq_editing.html#join) or [mix](https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/mixing.html) sounds together.
- Numerous [effects](https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/index_of_effects_generators_and_analyzers.html) including change the [speed](https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/change_speed.html), [pitch](https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/change_pitch.html) or [tempo](https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/change_tempo.html) of a recording.
- Write your own plug-in effects with [Nyquist](https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/nyquist.html).
- And more! See the complete [list of features](https://www.audacityteam.org/about/features).
Audacity is free software, developed by a group of volunteers and distributed under the [GNU General Public License (GPL)](https://www.audacityteam.org/about/license).
Free software is not just free of cost (like “free beer”). It is **free as in freedom** (like “free speech”). Free software gives you the freedom to use a program, study how it works, improve it and share it with others. For more information, visit the [Free Software Foundation](http://www.fsf.org/).
Programs like Audacity are also called **open source software**, because their source code is available for anyone to study or use. There are thousands of other free and open source programs, including the [Firefox](http://www.mozilla.com/) web browser, the [LibreOffice](http://www.libreoffice.org/) or [Apache OpenOffice](http://www.openoffice.org/) office suites and entire Linux-based operating systems such as [Ubuntu](http://www.ubuntulinux.org/).
We welcome [donations](https://www.audacityteam.org/donate/) to support Audacity development. Anyone can [contribute](http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Contribute) to Audacity by helping us with [documentation](https://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Main_Page), [translations](https://www.audacityteam.org/community/translators), user [support](https://forum.audacityteam.org/) and by [testing](https://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Nightly_Builds) our latest code.
[Open HUB](https://www.openhub.net/p/audacity) (formerly known as “Ohloh”) has statistics on the value of Audacity development. The statistics are set up by us to show only the values of Audacity-specific development, excluding the third-party code libraries Audacity uses.
Bundling, Reselling or Distributing Audacity
Vendors are free to bundle Audacity with their products, or to sell or distribute copies of Audacity (see [Vendors and Distributors of Audacity](https://www.audacityteam.org/download/distributors/)) under the [GNU General Public License (GPL)](https://www.audacityteam.org/about/license#license).
If you are interested in bundling, selling or distributing Audacity, please review our entire [License, and Advice for Vendors and Distributors](https://www.audacityteam.org/about/license/) page.
Sponsoring Audacity Development
We are happy to hear from any companies or groups interested in [sponsoring](https://www.audacityteam.org/donate/) Audacity development, but please note that we are not interested in proposals related to: [software bundles, installers, pop-ups, or “in-app” adverts](http://www.audacityteam.org/contact/advertising-and-monetization-opportunities/).
Connect With UsWebsite
Want to claim this profile? Click here
to contact us.